Programs and projects of the Colonel Abram Penn chapter have emphasized history, education, and patriotism. Some acitivites include:
- observation of Constitution Week,
- sponsorship of history essays, Junior ROTC, and DAR Good Citizen Awards in county schools,
- supporting and donating to DAR and Indian schools,
- presentation of flags to scout troops and the local historical museum,
- gifts to veteran patients in Salem,
- presentation of Community Service Awards,
- hosting a historical tour of the county,
- conducting genealogy workshops,
- copying Bible, will, and cemetery records for DAR and other libraries,
- donations towards restoration of Will Book I of Patrick County and records of
other Virginia counties, and
- staffing of the Patrick County Historical Museum.
Markers have been dedicated at graves of deceased members, as well as Revolutionary War soldiers Captain Harmon Critz, Captain Jonathan Hanby, and Edward Cochran. A continuing project is the maintenance of the Colonel Abram Penn Cemetery at Poplar Grove.
The chapter has had two members serve as district directors and state officers.
One of those also served as chairman of several state and national committees,
along with members who have served as chairmen of district committees.